Nuclear power is essential for decarbonisation, energy independence and for the reliability of the Slovenian and Croatian electric power system.
Nuclear energy enables socially, economically, environmentally, and spatially viable transformation of energy for the achievement of climate neutrality and sustainable development targets.
Long-term use of nuclear power is governed by the sustainable development principles in the following areas:
- power plant operation and modification planning,
- employee development and work process design,
- safety provision and habitat conservation,
- action as regards change and challenges in the society and the environment, and
- carrying out our responsibilities to the future generations.
Long-term operation for sustainable development lived at NEK and in nuclear energetics overall produces positive effects on the welfare of the society.