The operation of nuclear power plants does not generate CO2 emissions and therefore carbon footprint is reduced locally, nationally, and globally. Calculations indicate that the use of nuclear energy amounts to emission savings of about 800 million tons of CO2 at the European level. To achieve an equal amount, approximately 200 million cars powered by fossil fuels would have to be taken off the road.
If compared to other energy sources or other production technologies, other environmental impacts caused by the production of nuclear power are low. Therefore, nuclear power production may be considered environmentally and climate friendly energy source.
The impact of radioactivity from nuclear power plants is 1000 times smaller than that from the natural environment. Safety in terms of radiation from the plant is ensured systematically. In the event of a potential accident at the Krško NPP, there is a series of successive barriers to prevent the escape of radioactivity into the environment.
Warming of the Sava River
One of the plant’s influences on the environment is the warming of the Sava River for a few degrees. Namely, inside the condenser, the Sava River water cools down the steam with no direct contact or mixing and turns it into water which is then pushed by the pumps back to the steam generators. This is the water in the secondary system, which is demineralized and very clean and therefore we would not want it to be mixed with the river water. However, when thermal energy is converted into electrical, all the heat cannot be exploited and that is why a part of this heat passes into the Sava River in the form of heated water.
Environmental Management System
We pay special attention to environmental protection. We practice environmental safety in all plant processes and management.
In 2008, the Environmental Management System was introduced at NEK in compliance with the ISO 14001:2004 standard, attesting conformity of its Environmental Management System with this standard.
The Environmental Certificate means the confirmation of NEK's environmentally-sound plant operation and commitment to the future. The Environmental Management System is regularly supervised, updated, and used for the realization of our environmental policy.
Environmental Policy at NEK (Krško NPP)
Environmental policy is included in the NEK’s business and operation. By adopting this policy, we commit ourselves to environment-related laws, regulations and standards as the environment-friendly and nature-friendly company:
- We maintain and amend ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System, and strive to continuously improve it.
- We observe the environment-related laws, standards, and requirements we have adopted.
- We focus on the reduction and control of radioactive waste, emissions into the air, releases of contaminates into surface water and soil. We exert control over spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste during the plant operation and maintenance.
- We provide for a separate collection of all types of waste to be picked up by registered waste carriers.
- We monitor and independently measure environmental effects and inform the public on the results.
- We train all the plant employees and contractors on environmental protection.
- We enter environment-related improvements into annual goals, plans, modifications, and the Corrective Action Program.
- We familiarize natural and legal persons working for NEK with the environmental policy and enable the interested public the insight into this policy.
- We substantially reduce the plant operational risks by integrated upgrade to safety systems in compliance with the nuclear legislation of the Republic of Slovenia.